Friday, September 11, 2009

Hop Heaven


Yesterday, we had our monthly sales meeting over at Project Open Hand, in which we volunteered for 3 hours packing meals for their Senior Lunch Program. POH just happens to be right across the street from Sweetwater, so I just had to pop in. The Minister of Propaganda, Steve Farace, was plugging away in his office when he asked me, "Have you been in the back yet?" Of course he was referring to the "back of the brewery" and I quickly strolled into the brewery. Seemed to be business as usual, until I poked my head into the keg cooler....

Brewmaster Mark had his head down in one of four 100lb boxes filled with wet, fresh Chinook hops. The boxes were overnighted straight from Washington and the aroma was heavenly. These little green pine cones were a sight to behold and I really wanted to eat one. Smiles all around in the cooler. Mark stuffed them into hop sacks, which were going straight to the tank. This one will be the latest in the Dank Tank series, called Wet Dream. I think this name is perfect, as I almost had a wet dream in the cooler. She will be an Imperial Red, clocking in around 7.5%. To my knowledge, a wet hop beer is a first for Sweetwater and their recent creativity has me excited for their future brews. Here's how it went down:















No comments: